1970s GM Ranger Resto starts!!!

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
Ranger1

Re: 1970s GM Ranger Resto starts!!!

Post by Ranger1 » Mon 07 Dec 2015, 09:47

HI Reg
That seat looks to be in really good condition. Is that the Ranger logo at the top middle of the seat?
What make of sound deadening did you use and was it very expensive?

Mark

RangerReg

Post by RangerReg » Mon 07 Dec 2015, 10:58

Mark
Ever on the lookout for inexpensive (read CHEAP) materials... I went to Build It Hardware store and picked up waterproof flashing, about R235 +/- for a roll. You can get different widths
but I opted for the easier to handle width. I researched online and I think it is basically the same, bitumin/tar base with thin foil top...I know some here may differ with me on this, but it is a budget issue for me. As for the carpet underlayment, Builders Warehouse had doggie blankets marked down so I got a couple at R70 each.
I might be your way tomorrow as I have meetings, is the Chevy Orange Engine Paint still available?
Reg

RangerReg

Post by RangerReg » Mon 07 Dec 2015, 11:00

OOps forgot to answer - YES that is the Ranger Springbok logo on the upper middle of back seat. 8) 8)
Looking to have same embossed on two front seats when redone as monies allow.

Johann72

Post by Johann72 » Mon 07 Dec 2015, 12:53

Ranger1 wrote:HI Reg
That seat looks to be in really good condition. Is that the Ranger logo at the top middle of the seat?
What make of sound deadening did you use and was it very expensive?
Mark
That Ranger on the seat!! ;) If you went to the drawing you would find my edited signature on there! :mrgreen:
Used to be known as Johann65.
1966 Opel Rekord Current running project
1972 Chev Kommando (V8 Conversion) Sold to Mantaray
1965 Chev Malibu Sold
1966 Volkswagen Sold
1953 Renault Break (Sold as scrap!)
1954 Hillman Californian Sold
1954 Triumph TR2 Sold

RangerReg

Post by RangerReg » Mon 07 Dec 2015, 13:25

WOW Cool!! 8) 8)
Does that mean I owe you "ROYALTIES" now Oom Johann 8O 8O :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
You wouldn't happen to have a copy of that drawing ?? but I guess that was GMs property :cry:

Johann72

Post by Johann72 » Mon 07 Dec 2015, 15:07

RangerReg wrote:WOW Cool!! 8) 8)
Does that mean I owe you "ROYALTIES" now Oom Johann 8O 8O :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
You wouldn't happen to have a copy of that drawing ?? but I guess that was GMs property :cry:
Long Gone I Guess!! :roll: Logo was embossed with a brass branding mould. Heated at a specific temp :mrgreen: All that work was done by women!!
Used to be known as Johann65.
1966 Opel Rekord Current running project
1972 Chev Kommando (V8 Conversion) Sold to Mantaray
1965 Chev Malibu Sold
1966 Volkswagen Sold
1953 Renault Break (Sold as scrap!)
1954 Hillman Californian Sold
1954 Triumph TR2 Sold

RangerReg

Post by RangerReg » Wed 09 Dec 2015, 13:39

Sad News: My husband, the longtime car enthusiast just passed away yesterday in an accident.

Life is upside-down for me at the moment, but I draw comfort from the good memories of my husband working on the latest auto-project. A calming reminder of a time when most problems could be fixed with a socket wrench!

The only project my husband left behind was his Ranger. It is in excellent, running condition, but he had just removed all of the seats to install some carpeting before the accident.

I would love to feature this car at his funeral, because restoration was a big part of my husband's life.

If any of you have an expertise in restoring RangerReg's vehicle, (specifically, the re-installation of the seats!) I would greatly appreciate it. The car is located in the Wellington Area, and I would be willing to reimburse you for your time.

Please contact me at nancylcowie@gmail.com

johan wepener

Post by johan wepener » Thu 17 Dec 2015, 10:58

Sorry to hear of the tragic death of a fellow Member. Very sad.

Strength to his family.

Johan
JOHAN WEPENER

IF YOU WISH TO DRAW AN INFERENCE IT HAS TO BE CONSISTENT WITH ALL THE PROVEN FACTS.IF NOT, THE INFERENCE CANNOT BE DRAWN

PieterdeBeer

Post by PieterdeBeer » Sat 04 Jun 2016, 18:53

Hi Everyone,

Reading through this, many thanks to Oom Johan (Johann65) , Werner, Johan Grobler, Johan72 for all your help.

Sadly Reg could not finish the carpets of the car, but the rest of it, looks awesome !

I am assisting Nancy in the process of finalizing the estate of Reg Cowey.

Nancy wishes to sell the 1971 GM Ranger C series ( Opel Rekord ), the restoration process was almost finalized.

Please read through this thread. You would see that Reg has spent many hours on this car and some of the work done, was so unique that only a lover of old cars, will really appreciate the time and effort that has gone into this.

Unique features includes:

- The well known " Springbok Version " ( Reg made badges over - 3D cutting and lots of other elements to protect the Springbok history. )
- He found out that it has the very unique locally done trimatic gearbox ( Australian assembled )

We will in the next few weeks attempt to find the right buyer who will not only, be willing to pay what the car is really worth, BUT who will also appreciate the true value of the sweat and tears, but also joy, that Reg put into the car.

Should you be interested, please contact me at pieter@restoration4hope.org.za

In Memory

Reg Cowey

Social Media