Ford Falcon XH Ute

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
User avatar
Leon
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu 09 Feb 2017, 19:35

Re: Ford Falcon XH Ute

Post by Leon » Mon 13 Feb 2017, 22:34

Hi Racer.

Thats the 4.3l? Or is it the 4.7?

I dont know much about them specifically but i did help pul a 4.0 in a mahindra. They are rev happy motors and smooth as silk but as with everything its a tradeoff. The jap v8 in my limited experience does not have the grunt of say a 302 but it makes more kw.

I take it as a matter of what you expect a power plant to do. Some ppl like rotaries others i4. Personaly i like a old cast iron v 8.

Ether way would like to see what you did n how you did it.

Please keep us posted

Leon.

Racer-X
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu 25 Oct 2007, 15:51
Location: Port Elizabeth

Re: Ford Falcon XH Ute

Post by Racer-X » Tue 14 Feb 2017, 13:00

Leon wrote:Hi Racer.

Thats the 4.3l? Or is it the 4.7?

I dont know much about them specifically but i did help pul a 4.0 in a mahindra. They are rev happy motors and smooth as silk but as with everything its a tradeoff. The jap v8 in my limited experience does not have the grunt of say a 302 but it makes more kw.

I take it as a matter of what you expect a power plant to do. Some ppl like rotaries others i4. Personaly i like a old cast iron v 8.

Ether way would like to see what you did n how you did it.

Please keep us posted

Leon.
1uzfe = 4 litre
2uzfe = 4.7 litre
3uzfe = 4.3 litre

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ftpguy
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon 27 Jun 2016, 20:26

Re: Ford Falcon XH Ute

Post by ftpguy » Tue 21 Feb 2017, 17:01

I have bought a 97 Ranchero Outback,always liked them,and have been fixing a bunch of things on it...the gearbox not shifting down when you slow or come to a stop has been the biggest problem,it stays in a high gear and wants to stall out,she shifts up like a dream,done an oil change and filter change on the box,but no change,has anybody had similar issues,its a btr 4spd auto box with some computer controls...

will post some pics when shes looking respectable,some bodywork touch ups in progress,and new brake discs getting fitted,and hunting a indicator/dip assembly,front shocks and...

the Outback has the cool column shift and bench seat,which is a bonus!

User avatar
Gavin RS
Posts: 1110
Joined: Wed 22 Aug 2007, 16:37
Location: Randpark Ridge Randburg South Africa
Contact:

Re: Ford Falcon XH Ute

Post by Gavin RS » Wed 22 Feb 2017, 09:44

Guys I would keep the old 4.0lt six, freshen it up and then fit a turbo kit. you will be surprised to see it blow most serious V8's into the weeds and you can easily get 500hp without going crazy on internals. or try find the Territory ST motor complete and fit that straight in and you will be happy with the std power of 245kw and 500nm torque.

My Ford Territory ST is still stock with 192000km on the clock and blows most things away from the robots. lots of fun for a 2 ton SUV. all I need now is a software upgrade and a tweak on the exhaust and power goes over 300Kw
1984 Rover Vandenplas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse with 4.6lt from V8 Developments (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1982 Rover SDS V8 manual
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

Racer-X
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu 25 Oct 2007, 15:51
Location: Port Elizabeth

Re: Ford Falcon XH Ute

Post by Racer-X » Wed 22 Feb 2017, 10:03

Gavin RS wrote:Guys I would keep the old 4.0lt six, freshen it up and then fit a turbo kit. you will be surprised to see it blow most serious V8's into the weeds and you can easily get 500hp without going crazy on internals. or try find the Territory ST motor complete and fit that straight in and you will be happy with the std power of 245kw and 500nm torque.

My Ford Territory ST is still stock with 192000km on the clock and blows most things away from the robots. lots of fun for a 2 ton SUV. all I need now is a software upgrade and a tweak on the exhaust and power goes over 300Kw

I was thinking about turboing it.
Though i have heard rumours of a standard parts only rebuild cost of +- R15,000?
How much would boost friendly parts cost?

The Territory ST 'Barra" motor is a good one. though it is about R25,000+ to purchase.

It would be ideal. Mostly plug n play.

User avatar
hanov0
Posts: 880
Joined: Sat 19 Jan 2008, 19:51
Location: Fourways RSA

Re: Ford Falcon XH Ute

Post by hanov0 » Wed 22 Feb 2017, 14:09

My Ranchero was on 302000Km
Then I turbocharge it, compression is still spot on.
No smoke, only from the tyres :D
And i dont see a any V8 catching it easily, not even the new Germans..

Only worry is the gearbox...
Cheers
Hano'

For custom Aluminum work www.saicperformance.com

Image

Racer-X
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu 25 Oct 2007, 15:51
Location: Port Elizabeth

Re: Ford Falcon XH Ute

Post by Racer-X » Wed 22 Feb 2017, 15:48

hanov0 wrote:My Ranchero was on 302000Km
Then I turbocharge it, compression is still spot on.
No smoke, only from the tyres :D
And i dont see a any V8 catching it easily, not even the new Germans..

Only worry is the gearbox...
Please give me more details.
year?
pictures?
turbo details?
engine modifications?
fuel management details?
fuel consumption?
problems?



Edit: I see you have posted something: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22825

Racer-X
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu 25 Oct 2007, 15:51
Location: Port Elizabeth

Re: Ford Falcon XH Ute

Post by Racer-X » Sat 25 Feb 2017, 22:51

I have lent the Ranchero to a friend of mine as he has space for it and uses it occasionally.

He says that it has been struggling to start.

Long story short: I did a bit of forum research and discovered that it was an OEM immobilizer called smartlocK.
Basically a relay on the BEM (located above the accelerator pedal) is connected to 2 wires.
When it is faulty it intermittently disconnect power to the starter.

So I found some info and found 2 wires, red with a blue tracer.

Cut and connect to each other.

No more starting problems.
Image

You can see the 2 wires in the Centre of the picture l.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Racer-X
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu 25 Oct 2007, 15:51
Location: Port Elizabeth

Re: Ford Falcon XH Ute

Post by Racer-X » Sat 25 Feb 2017, 22:53

My bakkie is falling apart.
The dash has started to crack.
The rust has taken over.

I have to weigh up the options of sell as is or strip and fox and rebuild.

I am interested in possibly lightly refreshing the motor. Rings and gaskets etc.

As for the rust, I am not sure. I would have to cut out a lot of metal.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User avatar
IndianaJones
Posts: 4859
Joined: Sun 23 Aug 2009, 17:39
Location: Citrusdal, RSA

Re: Ford Falcon XH Ute

Post by IndianaJones » Sun 26 Feb 2017, 12:39

Great news, that you found the starting problem.

Not to complicate your decision making, but for interest sake...
https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkie ... 1120915409
It might have its own problems though...

Post Reply

Social Media

     

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests