1972 Cortina Full Resto Mod

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
ZaJules

1972 Cortina Full Resto Mod

Post by ZaJules » Tue 01 Dec 2020, 18:38

Ok ill start of by saying this will piss a few people off. So before you say it let me
"Dont stuff up a classic by cannibalizing / Frankensteining an original!"
First off this was our JamJar rally car for 3 years and it suffered! I started off by redoing the bodywork and then shaving the front and rear bumpers, lowering the suspension (BADLY) and re-doing the interior. this was all done about 3 od years ago and turned the cortina into a real stunner.
As my weekend fun car it was great but a few things were bothering me. The 3L V6 was running well but had issues, Head gasket issue, starting to use oil and heavy on fuel as well as only having a 4 speed box. After looking at all options regarding engine redo new box etc etc and then still finding a way to satisfy my need for more power I made the SHOCK HORROR decision to go the Lexus V8 route. I Know I know SKANDE! but i couldn't see a more cost-effective way to get reliability comfort better consumption and POWER any other way. This is not a Build and sell project, this is the car ill own for life and as such I want it to be the best car posible. To go along with the near 300hp V8 I will be upgrading the running gear. So far it looks like we will go with the BMW E36 front and E90 rear suspension, this will give better suspension, brakes and power steering as well as make future tuning/upgrading easy. There are a lot of plans and the work has already started so I will be posting details here as we go.
Again sorry to the fuddies that will hate the bastardisation of this classic but Im making her the best she could possibly be!

Here is a quick video to show some details
Attachments
cortina rear Stock.jpg
cortina rear Stock.jpg (509.6 KiB) Viewed 3560 times
2020-04-06 20.40.59 (Large).jpg
2020-04-06 20.40.59 (Large).jpg (377.62 KiB) Viewed 3560 times

pas-chill

Re: 1972 Cortina Full Resto Mod

Post by pas-chill » Thu 03 Dec 2020, 13:53

Looks like a great project. Please keep the updates flowing here.

paulusvrotius1

Post by paulusvrotius1 » Mon 07 Dec 2020, 13:29

Hi, your Cortina looks great and will be awesome with the Lexus V8.
As long as the car is being saved, modifying is OK in my book.
I look forward to seeing the progress. Good luck. :mrgreen:
Cheers

My AMC:
1971 Capri Perana Yellow/Blk.

Old Fords never die because some clotheads keep bodging them back together!!

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 16 Dec 2020, 18:50

Very interesting project, granted I would not use the Lexus V8 but I understand your reasons for doing so.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Social Media