Long distance Trip with Mustang

Pictures of your muscle car!
TdL351GT

Long distance Trip with Mustang

Post by TdL351GT » Thu 27 Sep 2007, 13:00

Hi to all,

Been way for a while. My son has had his Matric farewell down in Paarl, and when he phoned me and asked for the ’69 Mustang…. What can you do? I just had to drive down to Cape Town with the car.

Some interesting facts about the trip.

1. Took me 3 days to drive down as I took it slow and easy. Didn’t want it to brake down before I get there.
2. Replaced a blocked fuel filter at Colesberg as all the dirt in the tank travelled forward
3. Average speed on the GPS 107km/h. (75- 80mph on the speedo. Speedo’s were very optimistic in those days)
4. Came back a little bit faster and did it in one day. 13 hours.
5. R4300 for fuel. (including 2 days in Paarl taking the whole school for a trip)
6. Average of 5.3 km per liter.

Apart from the fuel filter…no problems at all.

Engine 460 Big Block with Edelbrock Torker intake and new 750 Holley, C6 auto box. Normal "windows down" aircon.
Must say that the seats were very comfortable.

Pic of car with Laborie (Paarl) in the background.

Regards

Theuns
Attachments
Matriekafskeid 031.jpg
There is no replacement for cubic inches....

Gavin RS

Re: Long distance Trip with Mustang

Post by Gavin RS » Thu 27 Sep 2007, 15:15

What a nice way to drive your car.Thats how it should be done. The picture of your car with the background is brilliant,could be a cover shot for a magazine
1984 Rover Vanden Plas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1983 Rover Vanden Plas undergoing conversion to race car.
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Thu 27 Sep 2007, 17:18

Very nice Theuns, sounds like it was a lot of fun.
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

72XYGT

Post by 72XYGT » Thu 27 Sep 2007, 17:56

I wondered why you were so quiet! Welcome back Theuns, its good to hear the Mustang was put to good use. Nice pic, I like it.
Daan

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Thu 27 Sep 2007, 22:29

That brings back fond memories. Circa 1996-97 about I towed a Group N car with a Novel Ford built Ford Courier 302, as their Saphire conversions. Was the ex-Giniel De Villiers (now Dakar fame) Ford Courier V8. Man that was bliss. Filled up whenever about 200 km passed just to be sure not to run out of fuel. Hearing that motor rev from Cape Town to Jo'burg and other circuits for hours on end was something I'll never forget. It was very nice for one the fuel bill was paid by the sponsor. Only one thing failed which was the T5. At just on 70 000 one box had been replaced and not long after that the second box was making strange noises in 5th again. One of the nicest bakkies I've driven/towed with

A few years prior to that I drove a 302 Can Am to Pretoria for a friend. There were a que of people wanting to take the car up. For some reason he entrusted me to the task and task it was. Got a friend to drive with instead of a scheduled flight he had bokked to get to Jo'burg. He drove about the first 200 km and sweared never to drive such a thing again. I drove the the next 1400 km. It had open pipes, no silencers, and through the Karoo which was in Summer at close to 40 degrees at above 140 it tended to want to overheat as I suspect that because the cam begins to work hard at about then which would make the motor running hotter under such extreme outside heat conditions. So we drove through the Karoo with the heater on to get maximum "radiator" effect. Took 18 hours as we got so tired from fatigue we stopped and fell asleep on the side of the road. Was just on R 400 fuel back then which was quite heavy. Stopped every 200 km aprox as the thing had a standard 45 litre tank it comes with.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 29 Sep 2007, 11:41

Sounds like a great trip, 460 is an awesome cruising motor, 5.3 km to liter is about right, according to a friend who got similar on his F100 with a 460.....

That really is stunning Mustang, fantastic colour, care to maybe post up some more pictures? :D
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Sat 29 Sep 2007, 11:47

Yes it is a stunning mustang, one of the few cars that I have seen that actually look better in real life than on the pictures.
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

TdL351GT

Post by TdL351GT » Sat 29 Sep 2007, 19:09

Thanks guys...yes it was a great trip and I enjoyed all the attention. At times one actually feels embarrassed with so many people around the car. You almost feel as if you have to ask permission to take your own car away. And one has to allow the youngsters time to admire the Mustang. They’re after all the ones we rely on to take over from us.

It sure is a lovely colour Jaques..some more pics for you.

Regards
Attachments
Seapoint 068.jpg
Seapoint 066.jpg
Seapoint 062.jpg
Matriekafskeid 07 052.jpg
There is no replacement for cubic inches....

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Sat 29 Sep 2007, 19:32

Phew, beautifull, and sure worth every drop of fuel it processed on the trip !

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 29 Sep 2007, 20:52

Thanks for the pics, its a stunning car, I remember when it was for sale in the Autotrader a year or 2 back.....dare it say it but from the pictures it might actually be nicer or as nice as the concurs condtion "Twister"
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Social Media