Ford 20M RS

Pictures of your muscle car!
Druss

Ford 20M RS

Post by Druss » Fri 19 Sep 2008, 11:47

Hi guys, I might as well make it official. The past weekend I decided to really test my fianche’s love for me. I went and bought another “unnecessary” car, and that just 2 months before our wedding. It did not go down well! (Tiaan mentioned to Wally about the splurging just before the wedding).

Anyway back to the stuff that really matter! (I think/hope she doesn’t read the forum). I bought a 20M RS , it is the car Theuns posted and discussed with Gunter and Henryk somewhere in June. http://www.africanmusclecars.com/forum/ ... m&start=50

The car, although in pieces, is generally complete. Even with matching number engine. A lot of the stuff being in the boot and and lying loose in the cabin. She is totally stripped inside, which made it easier to check the floorboards for rust. Original seats are there although they screaming for a re-cover, so is the hood lining and obviously carpeting. And vinyl.

The worst about her is the nasty “brandewynvlek” on the left side, as well as the rear left mudguard being totally rusted through. The rest of the car could be considered as “minimal rust”. There is a spare coupe door in the car which just leaves the fixing of the smash in front of the left rear wheel.

The centre console with the RS gauges is there, but the console (hardboard surround) is stuffed. That will become one the biggest headaches!! Then the somebody stole one V6 badge from the left front mudguard as well as a badge from the cubbyhole lid. The v6 badge isn’t a problem due to the spare car I got with, but the badge on the cubbyhole is a problem, I can’t even find pictures of how it is supposed to look.

The car is stil it original Ermine White with blackouts on the hood. I think only the right-hand front fender has been replaced as its only there where I could find another color paint on the inside of the light housing.

Most probably work on her will only start in the New Year, for now I have to get the Ranchero back on the road and then do the wedding thing. But after that it will be all systems go to get her back to her original, and very beautiful I might add, state.

Here she is:
DSC00001 (Small).JPG
on the trailer
DSC00002 (Small).JPG
trailer 2
DSC00003 (Small).JPG
on the road
DSC00004 (Small).JPG
the spare 4 door and her
DSC00005 (Small).JPG
the center console with rs guages
DSC00009 (Small).JPG
matching number engine, currently in the 4 door
DSC00014 (Small).JPG
empty engin bay
DSC00012 (Small).JPG
inside, notice stolen cubbyhole badge
DSC00016 (Small).JPG
DSC00017 (Small).JPG
trailer 3
DSC00019 (Small).JPG
dash
DSC00018 (Small).JPG
Cool under frontseat tag, ala fairmonts
DSC00160 (Small).JPG
DSC00162 (Small).JPG
These photos I took in January when i first went and looked at the cars. This is the brandewynvlek on the lefhand side
DSC00164 (Small).JPG
RS badge
DSC00167 (Small).JPG
very cool hood scoop, although just for the show!!

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Re: Ford 20M RS

Post by FairmontGT » Fri 19 Sep 2008, 11:49

I have of course looked at the car when it arrived, and its actually one of the few cases where it looks far worse on the pictures than in real life. And the shape of the car is fantastic with the pillarless windows en nicely raked rear window.

Great find and bargain!
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Fri 19 Sep 2008, 11:58

Forgot to add, the floor pans are rust free, and it has its orignal engine.
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

wally

Post by wally » Fri 19 Sep 2008, 12:27

i really wouldn't mind one. i saw Gunter's one.

they are absolutely stunning. nice!

good luck!
http://www.projectamazinggrace.org - Uniting the world's Christian community in one song on 8 November 2015 @ 15h00 GMT. Come sing with us!

RASSIE

Post by RASSIE » Fri 19 Sep 2008, 17:34

Hi Druss, what is the story with the white Chev standing next to the Ford? Cheers Rassie.
http://www.rassiesauto.co.za/
“Cowboys do not ride donkeys”
“I will die driving a V8”

Druss

Post by Druss » Fri 19 Sep 2008, 18:53

Hi rassie,

Sadly I didn't pay much attention to it. I just know that it was there in January when I first had a look at the RS and it is still there now. I don't even know if it's got a engine. I just know that it is still for sale but not at what price. I could pm you the sellers phone number. Sorry that the best I could do.

Enjoy the evening.

RASSIE

Post by RASSIE » Fri 19 Sep 2008, 19:10

Thanks Druss, that will be a big help, where is this place? Cheers Rassie.
http://www.rassiesauto.co.za/
“Cowboys do not ride donkeys”
“I will die driving a V8”

Gunter

Post by Gunter » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 07:49

Druss, don't worry i will post you a pic of the badge on the dash....glad you got a genuine RS.....i still wonder how many were made? ,what model is yours? both mine are 1972.
RACECAR spelt backwards spells RACECAR.....

Druss

Post by Druss » Mon 22 Sep 2008, 13:05

Hi Gunter,

A picture of the badge on the dash will be excellent!!! On the numbers made: at the moment I can't find any substantial information/readings on the 20M RS, however I do have some info on the number of 17M RS's made but I can't confirm it (maybe this number includes the 20M RS's built as well, I don't know and will not hazard a guess).

My RS is also a 72, well thats the date of first registration. Any other photos of the interior will also be great, since mine has been stripped before I got her. Most of the interior is there just lying loose in the car. For now my biggest knee jerk guess at the biggest hassles with spares is the badge in question, as well as the centre console. I've got the console but the hardboard part is buggered. I don't think these are sommer available off the rack from Midas.

Have you done suspensions on any of your cars? If so, did you struggle to get, for instance, tie rods, ball joints and or rubber bushings?

Thanks for your help Gunter, I really appreciate it!!!!!!

Gunter

Post by Gunter » Mon 22 Sep 2008, 19:11

i have the figures from the Auto data on the 17M RS, according to that they only made 41(17m RS's) in 1972...i would like to know the stats on the 20M RS's...
well we know they made at least 3! your one and my 2 (mine are also both 72's)

the badge on the dash is the same as the one on the boot,just slightly smaller -i will give you the exact measurements tomorrow.

I haven't done any suspension work on my cars, my 'virgin' car only has 58 000kms
so everything is still pretty much perfect(other than the front screen that has a crack in it) , my second RS is been resprayed at the moment - i will be preparing this car for FINE car racing....so i will possibly be changing a few items (like bushing and potentially the front struts) ,don't want to promised you but i might end up with a few bits after the car is stripped for racing, will let you have these....
RACECAR spelt backwards spells RACECAR.....

Social Media