Chevy Can-Am.

Pictures of your muscle car!
FlyKR

Re: Chevy Can-Am.

Post by FlyKR » Wed 22 Mar 2017, 21:01

Thanks Shoedoos, it's taken me a year of hard work to get it to this condition but it's been worth the effort and I love driving it :D ...

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 22 Mar 2017, 22:06

FlyKR wrote:It's been almost a year thought I would add some recent pics for those who are interested.
A1.jpeg
A2.jpeg
A3.jpeg
Very nice! Any engine bay and interior pictures?
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

sidedraught

Post by sidedraught » Fri 24 Mar 2017, 09:26

Car really looks great, well done! In the pics it looks like the wheels are painted white?

FlyKR

Post by FlyKR » Fri 24 Mar 2017, 23:16

Here's a picture of the engine, I still have a few non original items to track down but I'm getting there...
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (132.15 KiB) Viewed 7243 times

FlyKR

Post by FlyKR » Fri 24 Mar 2017, 23:23

Wheels are painted a pale green color not white the attached photo shows the color difference more clearly. The color is close to what the original cars wheel were painted but not taken from a color code (non exists) most were changed by the owners to silver which looks better.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (122.97 KiB) Viewed 7244 times

FlyKR

Post by FlyKR » Fri 24 Mar 2017, 23:27

I haven't taken any pics of the interior because it's not quite finished yet, dash needs to be recovered and I'm waiting for the correct personal steering wheel which is at my sisters place in the UK going to collect it in July other than that all the other bit are there will post pics later when it done

rourke

Post by rourke » Wed 25 Oct 2017, 11:20

Great cars i would imagine.

Saw a show 1nc , called car torque with hendrik vervoerd i think.

They interviewed twins that owned 2 can ams.

They were talking about how it pulled to like 80 in 1st 140in second and 180 in third or something like that but by 4th the car would be past the speedomeeter which had a top speed of 180ks. Is this correct.?

That sounds epic. They also said its a perrana beater back in the day.

So how was the registration process? how long did it take?

Cheers

Waterhond

Post by Waterhond » Wed 25 Oct 2017, 12:22

It was a Perana beater, but only because the Perana had a much shorter 1st gear...

Can-Am ZN

Post by Can-Am ZN » Fri 10 Nov 2017, 20:30

Waterhond wrote:
Wed 25 Oct 2017, 12:22
It was a Perana beater, but only because the Perana had a much shorter 1st gear...
Hello Pieter...that's not quite true.

The gear ratios on the two are not that vastly different, in fact both of their 1st gears are relatively long, with the Can-Am's being slightly longer.

If one looks at the geared speed charts of the 2 cars, as tested by the same magazine (Technicar) within a space of 2 years of one another, it is evident that the Can-Am 1st and 2nd gears are marginally longer:

Capri Perana (calculated at 5800rpm)

1st 77.8kmh, 2nd 111.8kmh, 3rd 159.3kmh

Chev Can-Am (calculated at 5800rpm)

1st 85kmh, 2nd 115kmh, 3rd 148kmh

This is not the reason for the Can-Am being quicker, however, because if one looks at the speeds in each gear, it shows that both cars would have to change into 2nd gear before 100km/h and into 3rd before 120km/h, so neither benefit in any way from having to change gear any less to reach either of these speeds.

The acceleration times for the 2 cars are:

0-100km/h is 6.7 for the Perana and 5.4 for the Can-Am, a difference of 1,3 seconds; and
0-120km/h is 9.3 for the Perana and 7.3 for the Can-Am, an even bigger difference of a full 2 seconds, which means that the Can-Am was pulling away.

(Above figures are all courtesy of Technicar magazine)

In view of both car's weights being similar, that difference can only be attributable to the Can-Am's more powerful 5 litre engine. Even though they appear evenly powered on paper (the Perana quoted at 281bhp and the Can-Am at 290bhp), it is a well known fact that the Can-Am's Z28 DZ302 output was under-specced in the US by Chevrolet to escape insurance penalties imposed on cars with an output exceeding a certain figure...300hp or so I think. Independent tests of the standard factory spec DZ302 engine subsequently revealed actual outputs more in the region of 350hp!

This provides the Can-Am with a considerably better power to weight ratio, which allows it to comfortably outperform the Perana.

From people I know who have both, the gearboxes also play a part in outright acceleration where the Perana's gear change is described as cumbersome and somewhat averse to being rushed through the gate, the Can-Am's Muncie is very slick and can be slammed through to the next gear without issues.

Whilst we're discussing acceleration issues, I'd just like to share an interesting story told by one of the Can-Am's development engineers who indicated recently in a post on one of the Facebook groups that the Technicar 0-100 km/h time is not quite a true reflection of what the car is capable of, saying that there is a trick to launching the Can-Am from the line with it's skinny 185/70/13 tyres and, with the right take-off, they were reeling off 5-second dead times over and over with the development car, almost half a second quicker than the already blistering time achieved by the Technicar road test team :D
Gavin

1974 Chev Can-Am 302
1991 BMW 325iS Evolution (SOLD)

"The sad reality about the uneducated is that they don't know that they don't know." - Me

Waterhond

Post by Waterhond » Sat 11 Nov 2017, 20:07

Hi CanAm,

I totally accept your extensive explanation why the CanAm was faster than the Perana. My expression was more aimed at humor ...

In any case, you called the crux of the issue ... 350 horsepower versus 281 horsepower. That puts everything to bed.

The CanAm was faster, finish and klaar .... (after the Perana changed to second :lol:)

Both cars were fun, which is the most important to me.

Pieter

Social Media