MkII Cortina Perana V6 racer

Pictures of your muscle car!
ZA Perana

Re: MkII Cortina Perana V6 racer

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 02 Nov 2016, 21:17

Very nice project. The Capri is in my mind one of the best "tribute" cars ever built in SA.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Wed 02 Nov 2016, 23:12

I have to add something here: Both WPMC Classics and HRC controllers have received a lot of uncalled for flack in years gone by. Much of it around rules, rule interpretations and who is allowed to do what etc and so on. Some of it might be warranted, but I have found in my dealings with them that they are very approachable and accommodating.
I agree from what I have heard. I think they do a good job, and yes they are very careful about unintentionally opening 'floodgates'. As an example, I think not allowing the Cosworth Pinto DOHC head was the right move, even though there was an arguable case under the rules as written for allowing 16 valve heads.

Regarding the big wheels in front, that happened in desperation in practice when chasing Monaro lap times at Kyalami. Worked too, because they were beaten in the race.

marnus

Post by marnus » Thu 03 Nov 2016, 10:44

Nice work on the fender :!:
Regards

Marnus Nortje

1989 Ford Sierra 308 V8
2005 Ford Ranger 2.5TD DC
2004 E46 320i BMW - ex

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Thu 03 Nov 2016, 14:23

Speak to Alan Poulter who runs the Olthoff Replica Cortina Perana, that car goes and handles brilliantly.
1984 Rover Vandenplas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse with 4.6lt from V8 Developments (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1982 Rover SDS V8 manual
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

KSF

Post by KSF » Thu 03 Nov 2016, 17:02

ZA Perana, you'll make me blush... :oops: There are some fantastic replica cars around in SA, not many seen in the mainstream media perhaps. I hold Nic Sheward's cars in very high esteem and something to aspire to. There are others too.

ZA Historics, that is a very interesting bit about the wheels fitted in practice, do you have any further recollections of the race meeting?

Marnus, thanks! That joint was a challenge and if I did not get to flare the arch later on, might not have worked out as well as I hoped.

GavinRS, I did speak to Alan Poulter some time ago, always meant to phone him again, but never got round to it. He had some extra bits left over from his build that I was interested in. I think his car is a genuine Perana. See pics of it below.
CortinaP1_1_1.jpg
CortinaP1_1_1.jpg (54.78 KiB) Viewed 667 times
MK2_Perana_01.jpg
MK2_Perana_01.jpg (80.8 KiB) Viewed 667 times

KSF

Post by KSF » Thu 03 Nov 2016, 17:30

After the mudguard repair and further stripping, it was time to start mocking up mechanicals and suspension bits. Since it was anticipated to still be some time before final bodywork prep and spray, I went around the car and painted copious amounts of Duram NS1 on the newly welded (and cleaned up) areas as well as any areas that looked like it might have rust. NS1 seems to work OK, but I found it needs multiple coats to be effective. Apply, let dry overnight and apply again. Go back in a couple of days and apply again. After 3 to 4 coats it cures into quite a hard surface and no further rust signs comes through. If you leave a single coat for a while, rust indications will start showing again. What we learnt later during prep was if done in this fashion and then properly sanded down, even previously rusted areas goes straight from the dark almost black color to bright bare metal, no red or brown layers at all.

So with the front end stripped out bare and the car lifted on axle stands, a mock-up engine and box' went in. Well, they are real parts, but just the bare block, sump and heads plus gearbox casings. They are a bit lighter to manouvre, but also you don't need to worry about damaging the real stuff or getting cuttings/grindings and the like into them.
Photo0809.jpg
Photo0809.jpg (82.01 KiB) Viewed 663 times
Photo0802.jpg
Photo0802.jpg (77.43 KiB) Viewed 663 times
Engine is the Essex V6 of course and gearbox of choice for now is Ford Type9. And as you can see, what ever falls to hand is used to hang and prop it in place.

Our rules allows you to move the engine back, but only as far as the original firewall allows you. No modifications allowed in that area and it is quite a sensitive subject. So with that left as is, I started by moving it all back as far as it can go.
Photo0807.jpg
Photo0807.jpg (69.46 KiB) Viewed 663 times
Pictured above was hard up against it and simply done to see what the potential is, where would it or the g'box hit. It could not stay there. The other area of concern is the bellhousing and gearbox tunnel. Both needs to stay as per std, but for both there is a bit of wiggle room in that some gentle massaging in localized areas are generally overlooked and accepted. But you cannot cut and replace/modify extensively.

In my case I had to deal with two issue, firstly the hacked open top and secondly, the Type9 gearlever sits at the end of the tail housing whereas the tunnel was meant for the forward position of the original box. I thought it best to just cut the messed up bit out completely.
Photo0810.jpg
Photo0810.jpg (78.78 KiB) Viewed 663 times
With that out the way, it was also a lot easier to see around the box and find an optimum position. It is a tight squeeze, but it fits.

Between where the g'box tailhousing ends and finding reasonable clearance around the bellhousing and back of cylinder heads, plus the correct angle for the engine, it had to move forward a bit from the position shown in the pic above. I dont seem to have more or better pics of that.

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Thu 03 Nov 2016, 19:02

KSF wrote:Engine is the Essex V6 of course and gearbox of choice for now is Ford Type9.
Why the Type 9? If I may ask. Do you need an overdrive? Isn't the 4-speed "Bullet" box much more reliable? And lighter?

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Thu 03 Nov 2016, 19:46

KSF wrote:ZA Perana, you'll make me blush... :oops: There are some fantastic replica cars around in SA, not many seen in the mainstream media perhaps. I hold Nic Sheward's cars in very high esteem and something to aspire to. There are others too.

ZA Historics, that is a very interesting bit about the wheels fitted in practice, do you have any further recollections of the race meeting?

Marnus, thanks! That joint was a challenge and if I did not get to flare the arch later on, might not have worked out as well as I hoped.

GavinRS, I did speak to Alan Poulter some time ago, always meant to phone him again, but never got round to it. He had some extra bits left over from his build that I was interested in. I think his car is a genuine Perana. See pics of it below.
CortinaP1_1_1.jpg
MK2_Perana_01.jpg
What I especially liked about the Capri is you brought back a car many had forgotten about and that colour scheme just looks amazing. What is great is that there are guys building really good tribute cars, my personal feeling is at one stage we had some cars being built but aesthetically and detail wise they weren't quite correct.

For me a good tribute car is something that I look at and instantly I am transported back into the pages of CAR magazine of the era.

Will be watching the new project with interest.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Fri 04 Nov 2016, 00:52

do you have any further recollections of the race meeting
No I wasn't there, but Oom Koos told me the story, as only he can do :). Same race, the suspension setup was so crazy the car was three wheeling severely. Koos said the left side of the car was so high in the air as he came up on a Monaro that he could no see it. So he undid his seatbelt to pull himself higher in the seat. He couldn't get the belt fastened again, so finished the race with no seat belt!

You are correct Alan's car is based on a genuine Perana.

The 'correct' gearbox is a Lotus Cortina box, nice ratios but fragile. In Koos Swanepoel's day he said they used to practice with a Zodiac box, then race with the Lotus box. The Lotus box would not last other wise.

I think Alan is running a T5. You should get in touch, he's a nice guy.

And you still owe me £15 for the stickers on the Capri that came to you via Henry K :)

KSF

Post by KSF » Fri 04 Nov 2016, 14:54

IndianaJones wrote: Why the Type 9? If I may ask. Do you need an overdrive? Isn't the 4-speed "Bullet" box much more reliable? And lighter?
Short question with potentially a long answer.... :) I assume you refer to the "real" bullet box and not one of the others that also gets assigned that name? Actually, the answer remains the same: strength, availability, suitability. Type9's are not particularly heavy and they are smaller than most in outside dimensions, so it is an easy fit. You don't need overdrive no, very few cars at K would use more than 3 gears actually. It is a question of finding the right 3 gears to use, in whichever combination of gearbox and diff ratio you get them. The Type9 3.0 box has its upper 3 gears fairly close and fairly evenly spaced, so it works quite well. In fact, the closeness and spacing is very similar (numerically different though) to the much loved 'dogleg' Getrag close ratio box. On that note, keep in mind that what was regarded as "close ratio" in the 1960's and 70's is pretty much the norm these days and not very close ratio at all.

The Cortina box of the 1970's, the BW T4 is probably the strongest of the V6 boxes around, but it is big, VERY heavy and the ratio gap from 3rd to 4th is not favorable for K. It might work well at other tracks and I know some guys at East London track uses it to good effect.

The T5's we had here have ratios similar to the 2.0 Type9 and also the Toyota "21R" box (the W range). T5's and their spares are getting scarce and pricey for no gain at all. Even 21R boxes will cost 2 to 3 times what a Type9 would and you might actually get worse laptimes for your efforts.

Social Media