Plethora of GM models in RSA during the 1960's; why so many?

Chat about anything that doenst fit in anywehere else
Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Bearhawke

Plethora of GM models in RSA during the 1960's; why so many?

Post by Bearhawke » Tue 01 Dec 2015, 01:01

After reading ClassicMan's post about locating carb info for the 194 four banger in his RSA Holden SW; what gets me is why RSA had so blasted many variations considering how tiny the new vehicle market was compared to (West) Germany let alone the USA +/- 50 years ago.

1967 here for GM alone:

Chevelle, Beaumont, Chevy II Nova, Impala, Caprice, Parisienne, Gran Parisienne and that's not counting the Opels, Holdens, etc.
Bearhawke in Az, USA

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan.

Johann72

Re: Plethora of GM models in RSA during the 1960's; why so m

Post by Johann72 » Tue 01 Dec 2015, 09:12

Hullo!
The 60's was the time of major change! Can you imagine our technical specifications? If I recall we were close to 40 people that worked at keeping all the specifications up to date! That is why I still hate filing papers!! South Africa was the sufferer having to cope with GM USA, Canada, England and Germany and the local content issues! Ford South Africa also had the same issues! Siggi Tanhauser was the technical manager then!!
Everybody had standardisation on the mind then! 8O :? :lol: :cry: :evil: :roll: :mrgreen: :idea:
Used to be known as Johann65.
1966 Opel Rekord Current running project
1972 Chev Kommando (V8 Conversion) Sold to Mantaray
1965 Chev Malibu Sold
1966 Volkswagen Sold
1953 Renault Break (Sold as scrap!)
1954 Hillman Californian Sold
1954 Triumph TR2 Sold

Bearhawke

Post by Bearhawke » Thu 03 Dec 2015, 02:53

Johann72 wrote:Hullo!
The 60's was the time of major change! Can you imagine our technical specifications? If I recall we were close to 40 people that worked at keeping all the specifications up to date! That is why I still hate filing papers!! South Africa was the sufferer having to cope with GM USA, Canada, England and Germany and the local content issues! Ford South Africa also had the same issues! Siggi Tanhauser was the technical manager then!!
Everybody had standardisation on the mind then! 8O :? :lol: :cry: :evil: :roll: :mrgreen: :idea:
That I def believe. Although I'm surprised that GM RSA simply didn't follow the Australian model lineup since the 1960's gave them the Belair/Impala, the Parisienne and another Canadian Poncho along with the Holden. No Chevelles, Novas, etc. That was it to the best of my knowledge.
Bearhawke in Az, USA

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan.

Johann72

Post by Johann72 » Thu 03 Dec 2015, 09:53

Bearhawke wrote:
Johann72 wrote:Hullo!
That I def believe. Although I'm surprised that GM RSA simply didn't follow the Australian model lineup since the 1960's gave them the Belair/Impala, the Parisienne and another Canadian Poncho along with the Holden. No Chevelles, Novas, etc. That was it to the best of my knowledge.
Those days the total top management consisted totally of American managers! I think they thank Texas Style!! :D :D
1965 Chev Malibu Sold
1966 Volkswagen Sold
1954 Triumph TR2 Sold

Moering Tool

Post by Moering Tool » Mon 07 Dec 2015, 06:03

ZA has traditionally been a dumping ground for obsolete models and spares. So it's no surprise that local brand magers would put together a zoo of frankencars to use up all that cheap inventory.

And hey, you could have your interior in any colour as long as it's the colour of baby crap and phlehm.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Mon 07 Dec 2015, 11:33

Moering Tool wrote:ZA has traditionally been a dumping ground for obsolete models and spares. So it's no surprise that local brand magers would put together a zoo of frankencars to use up all that cheap inventory.

And hey, you could have your interior in any colour as long as it's the colour of baby crap and phlehm.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

So very true.

And God forbid not a 2-dr....

Johann72

Post by Johann72 » Mon 07 Dec 2015, 12:50

Maverick wrote:
Moering Tool wrote:ZA has traditionally been a dumping ground for obsolete models and spares. So it's no surprise that local brand magers would put together a zoo of frankencars to use up all that cheap inventory.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So very true.

And God forbid not a 2-dr....
Typical Henry Ford!!
1965 Chev Malibu Sold
1966 Volkswagen Sold
1954 Triumph TR2 Sold

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Mon 07 Dec 2015, 13:44

Bearhawke wrote:what gets me is why RSA had so blasted many variations considering how tiny the new vehicle market was
There could be lots of reasons, it was a different time, but I would say, because we could.

South Africa was a first world country, with a strong currency. SA didn't stand back for any country in the 60's, it was basically coming to a peak, before the sanctions set in, numerous construction projects were underway, power stations, train tracks, etc, etc. South Africans could import anything we wanted to. Besides the normal models the official dealerships sold, there were numerous other personal imports.
Economy was good too, good enough that a middle class family could buy a new vehicle every few years, does that still happen?

Social Media