When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Ranger1

Re: CAPRI PERANA - HELP!!!!!

Post by Ranger1 » Sat 07 May 2016, 18:31

Hi
The Diff that I'm fitting to my record, I sourced from a Chev 4100.
Just from the pictures it seems to look the same.
The brackets are just different.
I'm also not sure if the side shafts are the same length.
I've got mine in pieces at the moment because I'm refurbing it, so if you want me to take any measurements please let me know.

Mark
Attachments
Cape Town-20120113-00167.jpg
Cape Town-20120113-00167.jpg (85.17 KiB) Viewed 5517 times

V8 fan

Post by V8 fan » Sat 07 May 2016, 19:07

Howzit Mark

Thanks for the input - I'll drop Wayne (Kiwi capri) a mail just now and ask him to check and get back to you........

Just maybe he'll be in luck with it being the same crown and pinion. If I'm not mistaken, this and the housing is what he was after. ;)
'73 Chevrolet Can-Am
'71 Ford Capri Perana
'84 Ford Sierra XR8
'65 Ford Mustang Convertible
'72 Landy SWB "88 series 3

'78 CJ5 Willys Jeep
'73 Pontiac Grand Prix 400

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Sun 08 May 2016, 15:03

Ranger1 wrote:...sourced from a Chev 4100.
I've got mine in pieces at the moment because I'm refurbing it, so if you want me to take any measurements please let me know.
Hi Mark, it would be great if you could measure the diameter of the crown wheel of your Chev 4100 diff, that way we could perhaps determine which Borg Warner diff it is, ie. a B-W M75 has a 7.5" crown wheel. Perhaps also share the tooth counts of the crown wheel and pinion, an overall length, hub face to hub face, and photo of the propshaft/pinion flange.
Info on which BorgWarner diffs were used in which classics, are scarce and any info that can be shared on the forum would be appreciated.
Also where did you source bearings and seals for it? Did you take in samples, or could you just state from which vehicle it is?
Relevant to the OP, the Chev 4100 probably did not share the 4x108 PCD of the Capri? What PCD is it?

Ranger1

Post by Ranger1 » Sun 08 May 2016, 19:41

I must just fetch the diff casing from my buddy in the week.
PCD is 5x120.
I'll post info as soon as I can in the week.
Mark

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sun 08 May 2016, 22:13

The centre part of the diff was used on many 1970s South African cars. Perana, Can Am, Nomad, Valiant family, Fairmont/Fairlane family, Toyota Hi-Lux, Chev 3800/4100 and probably many more.

On a Perana the outer ends are from a Capri 3 litre.

The LSDs are very hard to find second hand in South Africa.

To make a 'new' Perana axle in NZ I would do the following:

* Source a Capri 3 litre axle
* Source a Falcon axle with a 2.92. I am not at home so cannot look up the exact model. Chris (Peranaman) can tell you if you are in a hurry, or I can later this week
* Source a Falcon LSD. Chris can tell you where
* Get dimensions and photos from a friendly Perana owner
* Measure six times, cut once
* Cut ends off 3 litre axle
* Cut Centre from Falcon axle
* Weld together
* Measure half shaft lengths
* Get half shafts made. Again Chris can tell you where. I believe you can machine Falcon shafts down to do the job, but am not sure
* Make suspension and weld bracketry

To be more purist - import a BW MT75 centre from South Africa, and use original Ford bits for the suspension brackets. I believe there are some Cortina bits involved. Wayne Stockman in NZ knows. Send me a PM and I will get you his contact details when I am back home.

peranaman

Post by peranaman » Sun 08 May 2016, 22:39

John I did offer some help at the outset - don't think anyone has asked me yet. Got some good contacts in Oz.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do

kiwicapri

Post by kiwicapri » Sun 08 May 2016, 23:43

Thank you all. You all have some interesting points. I agree, it is time we all put pen to paper and get ALL the info on BW diffs we can. I will do my best to have it simplified with the information I have and post it up by the end of the week. It will be interesting to document the casting numbers, tags, axel tube sizes etc. for comparison.

Perana V8 Capri Diff: _ BW central casting with 67mm axle tubes. These tubes are cut off approximately 15mm from the casting (pigs head). The BW casting has a ring where the tubes go in to it, this is approximately 91mm. LSD is standard CONE type Ford referred to this LSD as a "Slip Resistant" diff. They were not allowed to call it a Limited Slip Differential. All the bearings, gears and caps are interchangeable between SA and AU, BW M75 series diffs. NOT M78, that is another story.

Typical Australian Falcon/Fairlane, Fairmont BW diffs have 64mm tubes (approximately) and the casting ring on the pigs head is approximately 80mm (both smaller than SA BW). It is possible to convert one to accept Capri brakes etc. and have it narrowed, but that is not the point.

SA Ford Fairlane (ZA, ZB) and Ford Ranchero, XT-XY (Called a "Ute" in NZ and Australia) both had BW 2.93 ration diffs. LSD was available in the Fairlane, the Ranchero Had LSD as an Option. I know the SA Ford Fairlane axle tubes are 67mm, hence thicker than Australian ones, but the pigs head has no casting ID on top. In other words, it is missing "SA". This could be used to replicate one, Yes.

According to the factory work shop manual I have on the XW Falcon (Fairmont) all except the GT had a BW. It also states the UTE and Commercial vehicles had "HEAVY DUTY AXEL HOUSINGS" . This leads me to believe the answer lies in a RANCHERO. There it is listed, UTE-2.93:1 LSD HEAVY DUTY. Now, this could also have been used (as suggested) in other applications, such as, The Chevy Nomad, and others. BW in SA was a separate company latter sold and now under the name of Gearmax. In Australia it was sold to DANA in the USA.

BTW- The Standard axle tubes of a 3.0 ENGLISH/AUSTRALIAN atlas diff will work, they are slightly larger than the tubes used in the Perana V8 Capri Diff- BUT, the bearing carriers, backing plates, axel bearings, brake shoes etc. are ALL standard 3.0.

The spring hanger - "U" bolt plates are Mk2 Cortina spun around 90 degrees with longer "U" bolts to compensate for the BG designed lowering blocks. The Radius arm brackets are typical, "pressed" type that I would refer to as Capri Mk1 1600 brackets. They are not flat as I would expect to find on a typical 3.0 ENGLISH/AUSTRALIAN atlas diff. The spring hangers welded to the axle tubes are standard Capri/Cortina.

Cortina L6 (200,250 Ci straight six Falcon motors) powered cars in Australia had a BW with various ratios. The axels (half shafts) are 4x108PCD and 25 spline. The housing is a different design so it can use coils springs(why I don't know as the wallowed badly) and the suspension pick up points cast in a different.

Chrysler used a BW in the Valiant in various forms/ratios. One of them being 2.93:1. The gears are interchangeable BUT the bearings and Bearing caps are larger. Why, I have no idea. The axle tubes are also larger.

I am very interested to see what casting numbers and markings are on the diff in the OPAL, Can Am and also the Nomad.

Cheers

Wayne-still searching....................

kiwicapri

Post by kiwicapri » Sun 08 May 2016, 23:51

Hi Chris-Thank you for the kind off of contacts. I have quite a few her in NZ. Australian cars all over the place and two very good diff rebuilding centres. I have the fully rebuilt carrier etc. still. After years of searching and after making up a donor rear end, I finally found and had shipped a genuine Perana rear end. It was recently stolen. I need to replace the housing (pigs head and tubes) only, but would very happily buy a complete diff, if it was correct as I'm restoring the car.

My main point here is: BG had these diffs built out of components. They would not have built a one off at BW just to satisfy BG. No way. You can see it has been cut and welded, and the welds are very poor. Most of the components we all know and are common Ford items. And YES the centre is a BW M75 series housing, BUT what housing was used? That is the million dollar question. Once answered, we can probably all help each other, and others who would like to restore the Perana V8 Capri correctly.

Thanks again Chris for the kind offer.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Mon 09 May 2016, 01:19

The Capri Perana was developed almost entirely from Ford parts bin parts.

The diff is not on the parts list of approximately 300 parts added and changed at Basil Green Motors. The diff was fitted as original equipment at the Ford South Africa factory.

I think therefore we can assume that the centre was from a current Ford of the time. In South Africa that would almost certainly be the Fairmont/Fairlane/Ranchero.

As far as I know, the original sideshafts are modified Fairmont parts.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Mon 09 May 2016, 09:37

Unfortunately I have lots of experience with Perana diffs and side shafts.

1: the 4100 diff is not the same, the splines on the shafts are very different
2: the 4100 shafts are too thin
3: the 6 cylinder Fairmont shafts are thinner than the Perana shafts and again the spline on the end is different.

Eventually I ended up going to a scrap yard with a whole ton of different half shafts and ended up machining down something off a truck and re splining the shaft.

Standard Capri 3 litre shafts may work if you drive sensibly. I have a few of those lying around somewhere I think.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Social Media