LUMINA UTE

Try here if you want something specific
Forum rules
If you are not a regular forum member, please introduce yourself in the Indroduce yourself/Welcome to new members section. Tell who you are, where you are from and some background details. Your advertisements will be deleted if you don't.
johan wepener

LUMINA UTE

Post by johan wepener » Wed 27 Dec 2017, 12:52

I consider buying a Chevrolet Lumina Ute (bakkie).

From a senior citizen (like me) , if possible.

White or silver in colour, automatic with moderate milage. Nothing that has been used as a dragster.

Original without fancy pipes.If it does not have original rims, i will change it to the originals.

I am going to put on a canopy and use it as a normal bakkie. (A normal bakkie but one with a difference.)

Any leads?

johan
JOHAN WEPENER

IF YOU WISH TO DRAW AN INFERENCE IT HAS TO BE CONSISTENT WITH ALL THE PROVEN FACTS.IF NOT, THE INFERENCE CANNOT BE DRAWN

ZA Perana

Re: LUMINA UTE

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 27 Dec 2017, 15:14

I think it is possible to find one but not with a standard exhaust... you don't want a standard exhaust anyway ;)

The biggest thing will be to find a canopy...quite rare and in my opinion doesn't really look that great either.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

johan wepener

Post by johan wepener » Wed 27 Dec 2017, 18:12

I saw an ad of a Lumina Ute with a canopy. I will worry about the canopy later . More important

to get the vehicle within my parameters.

Should the original exhaust be replaced, well, I can live with a nice sound. Within limits though!

Johan
JOHAN WEPENER

IF YOU WISH TO DRAW AN INFERENCE IT HAS TO BE CONSISTENT WITH ALL THE PROVEN FACTS.IF NOT, THE INFERENCE CANNOT BE DRAWN

First V8

Post by First V8 » Thu 28 Dec 2017, 18:15

Look on the the Lumina Owners forum http://www.luminaowners.co.za/forum/index.php . The white UTE with a canopy looks like a hearse :D . There are many Lumina Utes for sale as guys are panicking because GM is no more in SA . Dont stress parts are available and cheaper to import .
2010 Chev Lumina SS
1968 Chevy Impala (SOLD)
1968 Vw Beetle ( SOLD)
1963 Mini Pick Up ( Exported to UK )

johan wepener

Post by johan wepener » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 08:39

Thanks First V8.

As a matter of interest: What is the fuel consumption of a Lumina Ute auto on the high way, at a steady 120, would you say?

My Jaguar XF 4.2 V8 returns figures at the pump that at first i could not believe . i have calculated it over and over again.

At a constant 120 to 130 on open road with aircon on all the way , the boot packed to capacity ( my wife is not

shy with the heavy suitcases, I have warned her i will buy a Chev Impala Sationwagon should she not start to temper

on the luggage) it returns no less than 10 kilometer to a liter. Sometimes even better.

I have to admit, i am a careful driver, no rushing from standstill for example. On the other hand, should it be necessary to overtake

two big and long lorries, the V8 comes in handy and I use the power.

Johan
Last edited by johan wepener on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
JOHAN WEPENER

First V8

Post by First V8 » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 12:08

Consumption on stock luminas is good . One change from stock is the air intake ,it needs to breath better .I have done very long country trips 2000 km plus with out a load and on some trips would get 9.8 lt per 100 km but most were between 10.5 and 11lt per 100km . Yes you are right V8's make small gaps very small when over taking trucks . Town driving will be between 12.5 and 15 lt per 100km . There are loads of threads about consumption on the forum , go check them out .
2010 Chev Lumina SS
1968 Chevy Impala (SOLD)
1968 Vw Beetle ( SOLD)
1963 Mini Pick Up ( Exported to UK )

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 16:51

johan wepener wrote:
Fri 29 Dec 2017, 08:39
Thanks First V8.

As a matter of interest: What is the fuel consumption of a Lumina Ute auto on the high way, at a steady 120, would you say?

My Jaguar XF 4.2 V8 returns figures at the pump that at first i could not believe . i have calculated it over and over again.

At a constant 120 to 130 on open road with aircon on all the way , the boot packed to capacity ( my wife is not

shy with the heavy suitcases, I have warned her i will buy a Chev Impala Sationwagon should she not start to temper

on the luggage) it returns no more than than 10 kilometer to a liter. Sometimes even better.

I have to admit, i am a careful driver, no rushing from standstill for example. On the other hand, should it be necessary to overtake

two big and long lorries, the V8 comes in handy and I use the power.

Johan
I agree with First V8, the Lumina can be very fuel efficient, my dad is on his 2nd 5.7 sedan and open road he gets around 10-11 litres per 100. Running stock air box with K&N filter.

Even my supercharged 6.0 sedan does around 14-15 litres on the open road, I could do even better with a lighter foot.....
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Social Media