Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
superbee

Re: Ripped off!

Post by superbee » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 10:54

sorry guys, did i mention that when the buyer phoned me and was unhappy i said that i had someone else that was interested in the car and that i could probablly move it for him, he then said he would get back to me. the next thing i saw the car on gumtree for R295k (apparently he did a little bit of suspension work), 1 week after we had spoken he said he would like to return the car (after he had advertised it), i then phoned the other guy interested but he had already bought another car.... am i in the wrong? i certainly dont think so............ so before exposing a story to the public its better to hear both sides.......

Gunter

Post by Gunter » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 13:26

Holy Shit!! - been following this thread, only just figured out it was my ex Mustang which i sold to Brad!

Firstly, my ownership of this mustang came as it was a 'trade in' on a very expensive race car i sold.
The guy who bought my race car gave me various options of trade ins and the mustang was by far the
best car for its money(i traded it in @ R275 000), it was not a 100% perfect car,but i have seen 'basket cases'
sell for the same money! i knew i would easily get my money back for the car.

I had 3 very serious buyers on the car without it being advertised(guys that just came to view my car collection)
at the time,like with most new toys, i wasn't sure to sell or to keep the car so the car was 'not for sale'.

Brad,a mate of mine, who specializes in buying and selling classic cars stopped by and we chatted about doing
a deal. Eventually he gave me a 1971 Camaro (R150 000) AND a 1994 Merc 500SL (R135 000) in a straight
exchange for the Mustang.

I know what Brad paid for the Camaro and the Merc and i can assure you if he did sell the car for R260 000,he
lost money.

2 things from my side:

1) I think it is of the utmost important to view ANY car(classic or not) in person before buying,i have
once or twice burnt my fingers big time by sending a close buddy in JHB to go and view a car...the problem
is one person great condition is not the same as the next persons.

2) I would ANYTIME do business with Brad, he is a straight up guy and my all dealings with him have been
clean cut and no BS.
RACECAR spelt backwards spells RACECAR.....

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 13:27

Welcome Brad,firstly I respect the fact you came aboard and gave your side of the story.I have bought a car
from you in the past and haven't had a problem,I just would like these things to be discussed openly without
people thinking this is a Carte Blache setup but would like to have input as was given to the selling market.
My problem is I wnt people that sell classic cars to be more discriptive on what they are selling to us folk that cant get around but have the buying power.When these things in general happen it becomes complicated
and can be avoided by simply stating the facts,whats needs doing and whats wrong with the cars so we can
work out a above cost to further restore the car and see if it is worth it before we lash out at buy the car
with a blind eye.I am not pointing fingers at you and have read your side of the story and I remain in neutral
grounds as I didn't buy the car.In General running a successful buisness is all about good service.
Cheers
Graeme.
(P.S will see you when I am down for the holidays)
Friends don't let friends drive JUNK.

Chooms

Post by Chooms » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 13:28

Hi Graeme,
From the title of your subject : "Ripped off" and your original post, you've got Brad buried from the first few lines of your post, and so the thread takes the "name and shame" route. But you later backtrack and state not knowing the full story. In fairness, to post and label somebody (and their business) on a forum as "rip offs" before knowing all the facts about the issue at hand is a bit rich.

Wouldn't it have been better, seeing that you knew that it was Brad who was the seller, to have contacted him first and taken up the issue with him directly - before posting a thread about him "ripping" people off? If Brad caught on kak then by all means, yes, let's all hear about it.
When it comes to attacking peoples character, perhaps we should show a little more responsibility regarding how the facts are managed before posting on the forum. We all know that once somebody is labelled a "dodgy dealer" or a "kak ou" the reputation sticks - whether or not they were fairly/unfairly labelled as such.
It sounds like your mate had higher expectations from a car that he bought for a good chunk of change -but had not personally assessed the vehicle before buying it.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Cheers
Chooms
Graeme wrote:Barry Look to be honest I am putting my foot in where it doesnt belong.I dont have an issue with
anyone in Cape Town but up here in JHB I get alot of calls and 99% of the musclecar fanatics know
me and we all get along.So it gets to me when people are dissapointed and I want to know why.
I wont name anybody as yes I dont know the full story but would like to know which dealer to trust and who
would give good service if I was to buy a restored car and what to do if I was not happy.
Cheers
Graeme
The dust will choke you blind,
The lust will...choke your mind.
- Rodriguez

Clint

Post by Clint » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 17:14

Chooms wrote:Hi Graeme,
From the title of your subject : "Ripped off" and your original post, you've got Brad buried from the first few lines of your post, and so the thread takes the "name and shame" route.
We must be reading our own view point’s into this :lol: :lol: From what I've read Graeme has always know Brad was the dealer in question & never named him. Instead leaving it up to Brad to put his hand up & say “yes it's me, but this is my take on it". Which, all credit to Brad that is what he did. Brad's business has come out of this post in pretty good shape & received favourable advertising to boot. There is nothing wrong with a name & shame section & I'm all for it. It not only gives the members a place to post about bad service but allows the service providers a forum to tell their story, as in this case. If service providers realised they are dealing with a community of car enthusiasts instead of Joe Soap they might not be so quick to burn their bridges if they have any intention of serving our niche market in the future. I never got the feeling Graeme was trying to be malicious, only sounding a warning to fellow forum members. As Tiaan said condition & price are always going to be very subjective wrt muscle/project cars. Maybe a way of handling these name & shame posts is to forward the post link to the service provider concerned so they may respond if they wish to????? 8)

Let’s see how worked up you all get when you’re on the wrong end of a dodgy deal only to find out that the culprit is a repeat offender known to most here but not named.........if that's the case why belong to these forums?

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 19:26

[quote="Chooms"]Hi Graeme,
From the title of your subject : "Ripped off" and your original post, you've got Brad buried from the first few lines of your post, and so the thread takes the "name and shame" route. But you later backtrack and state not knowing the full story. In fairness, to post and label somebody (and their business) on a forum as "rip offs" before knowing all the facts about the issue at hand is a bit rich.

As Clint stated I did not mention brad in any of my posts so it could have been any young dealer.If The
guy had not come forward and given his side of the story you would have not known who this person
was and therefore my subject could have been aimed at anybody.I was wanting to know the ins and
outs of the ways things should be sorted out being anyone in this buisness so your above reply
is in fact an understatement as I did not mention his name once except when he came forward with
his view on the subject so did you assume it was him from the beggining or did you see his post and
and come forward.
Cheers
Graeme
Friends don't let friends drive JUNK.

Good Fella

Post by Good Fella » Wed 13 Jun 2018, 10:48

I eventually located this guy Nasser Essop. He lives in Wale Street, Bo-Kaap. It's the building right opposite Chapinni Street with the arch. He drives a silver BMW 1 series.

Take him down as he's a known crook :x

Burnthosetyres

Post by Burnthosetyres » Mon 18 Jun 2018, 06:44

How does a thread from 2009 resurface in 2018?
'A Camaro is a little animal that eats Mustangs!'

Social Media