Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Graeme

Re: Ripped off!

Post by Graeme » Mon 02 Nov 2009, 13:49

Look bud I'm not the one involved as I said but being here in Joburg and running my own company becomes
difficult at times to go view cars and have people view them for me.Great if you haven't had problems
but the point is,If I was to by a car from a good person that will sort out issues,what would he do in
a situation like this as it happened to my mate and I wouldn't like it to happen to me.Please answer
mr TLD as you seem to know the good guys in Cape Town and I would like to know who to trust and would
give me good honest service so when people ask for cars they can be reffered to the right guy.
Cheers
Graeme
Friends don't let friends drive JUNK.

barry

Post by barry » Mon 02 Nov 2009, 13:57

TLD HAS ANYBODY WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HERE ACTUALLY GOT A NAME?????

Why does it always seem to be such an issue to name people or not?

Don't make statements or accusations that you can't back up, or call people names. Allow them their right of reply.
To simply state " I had a bad experience with XYZ because this or that happened to me - what's the problem with that??
just because you welded it - doesn't mean it's welded......

drgfinger
Technical Guru

Post by drgfinger » Mon 02 Nov 2009, 14:12

If the vehicle was represented to be in good condition and wasn't so , the purchaser has a remedy. Did the dealer in queston (I have no idea who it is btw) offer to set anything right?
Did the purchaser actually complain to said dealer? How much did it cost to fix the problems? Was the deal actually "voetstoets" , if not , there is a basis for claim and even if it was voetstoets, any latent defect the dealer was aware of that couldnt be detected by a careful inspection , he is liable for (It is however almost impossible to prove that there was prior knowledge.) If it wasnt voetstoets then any defect that makes the vehicle inoperable or not fit for its purpose can possibly be claimed for. Was this a dealer that had actually tested and driven the vehicle..if so latent defects might be an option..however on failure of the purchaser to inspect the vehicle , this might be a no-no. Patent defects , like pitted chromework are not required to be revealed as they are considered "visible"
If for example the dealer had filled the diff with banana skins and had not disclosed this and you had proof he did the skin thing - he would be laible for any repairs
One also has to remember to take action against the right party - my pal bought a porsche that was actually 2 porsches welded together - he sued the dealer and lost ...subsequent to that he sued the bank who were the title holders to the car and won....
I sent a car in for an engine refreshment , a spray paint and a tidy up - was supposed to be a 3-6 month job and it sat in the fellows workshop for 3 years and R70k later - I was only too happy to get it back in a semi operable condition..I never took action against the company but have NEVER dealt with em again and if asked for my recommendation re their workmanship , I just tell folk *I* wouldnt go there ..they have subsequently had to downsize and wonder why their client base has dwindled.
What I wonder is how do some of these folk that are blatant rip off artists manage to sleep at night and howcome they manage to maintain a business...surely it's better to pinch someone gently 100x than sting em hard once?
The nicest thing about smacking your head against the wall is........the feeling you get when you stop!!

05 Jag S-type R - supercharged v8
95 C4 lt1 corvette

RIP

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Mon 02 Nov 2009, 14:14

Barry Look to be honest I am putting my foot in where it doesnt belong.I dont have an issue with
anyone in Cape Town but up here in JHB I get alot of calls and 99% of the musclecar fanatics know
me and we all get along.So it gets to me when people are dissapointed and I want to know why.
I wont name anybody as yes I dont know the full story but would like to know which dealer to trust and who
would give good service if I was to buy a restored car and what to do if I was not happy.
Cheers
Graeme

tld

Post by tld » Mon 02 Nov 2009, 14:42

Hey Barry , I am sure that you would not like it if some one bought something from you and had something bad to say , I know you well enough to know you would not pull the wool over anybodies eyes , just like I know the abovmentioned dealer would not do that either .

Graeme we are all busy but I have belonged to the forum for quite a while now as have you and I am sure you have made quite a few mates and that they would not have any issues going to look over a car for you , is that not why we join these things , to get knowledge and make friends . I am all for the bad apples to be brought to the fore but I dont think this guy is one of them .

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Mon 02 Nov 2009, 16:43

Its such a subjective issue buying a classic car that its difficult for me to be very outspoken. I have bought several cars that the owners were convinced were in top condition, but to me they were very average. And also some that the owners thought were average, but I thought was great.

The same happens in selling, you sell something you think is average and the new owner will rave on about how excellent it is, or you sell a car that you yourself is impressed with and sometimes the new owner doesn't share your enthusiasm.

I think somebody has to do something pretty nasty and horrible and totally out of line to name and shame them - Im not really in favour of doing it. Except if many people has had terrible run ins with someone.
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Mon 02 Nov 2009, 17:48

Drgfingers is correct but because I am the middle man I got no beef with no one at moment so everybody
is good in my books.(If I was a victim it would be far worse)
Cheers
Graeme

woblzdesign

Post by woblzdesign » Mon 02 Nov 2009, 19:48

i guess i cant read it taught you bought the car :oops:
anyway, name and shame i say!
an incident like this would drive away new muscle car fans.
anyway old cars are old cars, have to know what you getting into.
daily drive: VW 1.4 9n3 polo
weekend drive: '72 ford capri v6

barry

Post by barry » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 05:17

To put another spin on it - some understanding of the buying process and that old thing called buyer's remorse. After the fact when your wipe out your starry eyes, there may be some warts. People have been known to lash out (at times unfairly) because of this. I know I have in the past....

It was confirmed in a PM that the dealer was who I thought it was. I was asked not to name names, and won't. (I do still firmly believe that there isn't anything wrong with that as long as everyone gets a fair chance to state their case)

I haven't had any business dealings with the person involved, but can state that I know him personally and believe him to be a genuine, stand-up guy.
It is pretty tough to build a business (especially at the moment) and in this game, it's probably tougher than most....
Since many on here will be reading between the lines on who we're talking about, I hope this gets sorted and he is either cleared of any "wrong" or given a chance to make good if the car was misrepresented.

Barry
just because you welded it - doesn't mean it's welded......

superbee

Post by superbee » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 09:39

hi guys, my name is brad. i sold the above mentioned car. firstly i would like to say that there was no mis-representation. the buyer (a friend of graeme) phoned me and said as soon as i get an early model fastback would i give him first option. i did a deal on the car, the car owing me R250k, i then sent pics to the buyer and said there was probably R20 - R30 k to spend excluding a respray, so probablly around R50k to spend, he then bought the car at R260k and i included transport to mafikeng.... before he bought the car i said he should fly down to see the car! but he said he didnt have the time. guys from my side i cant see anything that i have done wrong, that was what i thought the car was worth in its condition...

Social Media