ROVER SD1 V8.

Gavin RS

Re: ROVER SD1 V8.

Post by Gavin RS » Wed 25 Feb 2009, 16:41

:lol: I just had a look at a previous post from Killarney racer and realised that I never put any pics of the car up...

Here are some pics of the car as of beginning of December 2008. Apologies for the dirty state of the car.

I will put up some recent pics of the progress. So far the rear suspension is fitted with the GAZ adjustible shocks and springs. Polybushes fitted.the front suspension and brakes are next as well as finishing off the Watts linkage on the rear.the race seat and harness I will leave till last.
I have figured out where to shave off +-100kg's of weight for now (legally)

Before the new manifold and carb is done I will be running it on the dyno for some power figures so I can see what the improvement will be once the rest is done,

1984 Rover Vanden Plas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1983 Rover Vanden Plas undergoing conversion to race car.
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

Fanie

Post by Fanie » Wed 01 Jul 2009, 22:20

Hi Gavin
I recently bought a 82 model Rover v8 at a auction and really don't know what they are worth.I still don't know if i must keep it or sell it again.The car is in a very good condition for its age.Can you pls give me a guideline of value pls?The two carbs is in a poor condition and i was wondering if you would sell your old carbs?The only other problem is auto gearbox is slipping.Do you perhaps know if it will be pricey to repair.I actually bought the car for the engine for my son's landrover wich is currently a diesel but the Rover is still to good to strip.Your advice will be appreciated
Thanks Fanie
Attachments
Continental 005.JPG

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 12:59

Hi Fanie

The car does still look good and if yo spend a bit of time and effort on these cars they are brilliant to drive and the good old V8 is as reliable as any Chev V8 as long as it is serviced every 10000km with new oil and filter.

I have sent you a PM with a reply.

Regards

Gavin
2009 Ford Territory ST,

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Sat 23 Jan 2010, 15:37

Hi Guys

Its about time I posted some updates, been a year already.

As we all know having too many projects does not help with finishing off certain things.So what I decided as I had not got to my Rover for too long. I sold 2 of my cars, the Sapphire Cosworth shell and a Sierra donor car.

Unfortunately my Red sapph Cosworth got rear ended by a 4x4's bullbar just before Chrismast, R32k damage. fortunatel insurances are sorting things. I managed to source new old stock at the FORD factory so the tail lights rear valence, bumper, trims etc are all new genuine Ford items.

Anyway back to the Rover, December I picked up my car as it was stored at my brothers house. The paintwork has been scratched badly by the cats and dogs that run around.

Well the car is now at my house and after getting rid of the other projects I got started again with the hope of being ready for the Piper Series. I joined the Historic Register, renewed my MSA license etc, but still ran out of time. So Maybe March the car will be ready.

My wheels are fitted, got them machined and drilled a few weeks ago, the car is a bit too low for everyday road use with the GAZ suspension.minor problem.Brakes, pipes, polybushes etc are all fitted.

I had another shipment of parts from the UK arrive early December and I have more items arriving early February. People say I am mad spending so much on an old "scrap' as the call it. Well so far costs on parts alone including the Rims adds up to R35k, after the roll cage and exhaust system and a few other things the car will probably add up to +-R45k excluding the R20k I paid for the car all those years ago.

I have been driving the car around and I had forgotton just how nice these cars are to drive, and boy does it handle and stop well. I have already had guy who has a Rover SD1 contact me for parts so I think things might be looking up on the importing side. We had a chat about costs etc and he agreed with me that to restore his car like mine even if it costs R50k it is worth every cent because if you do a comparison, what can you have with all the luxury, a/con, electric windows, V8 space etc for say +- R75k, a used Citi Golf maybe. no comparison. So what if it is not a musclecar or some sort of sports car, it is still awsome in my opinion.

Anyway here are some recent pics. no spoilers or front valence fitted as it is all stripped as my new parts will be here in FEB.

Managed to get a steering hub for the Rover so my Momo wheel fits, just need the centre badge

These parts arrived in December, the whole MOCAL engine oil cooler kit, full hose kit (genuine parts) rear brake parts with adjusters all the springs etc etc, was GBP,50 bor both sides backing plates,springs, adjusters, shoes etc.The whole oil cooler kit with all the fitings, pipes etc was cheaper to import than buying local. I am also fitting a power steering cooler.

I had a spare flywheel which I had professionally lightened, took off 3.5kg as per the spec allowed on a Rover V8 flywheel, it now weighs 10kg, still heavy but it certainly makes a huge difference. The flywheel has new dowel pins from the UK, cost R25 fpr the 3. the flywheel and pressure plate has been fully balanced as unit

I also brought in all the original under bonnet badges and decals for the rocker covers as well as the original metal V8 badges and a new high volume oil pump.

Well thats all for now, I am off to remove the old gearbox and fit my new flywheel, clutch and new gearbox

Cheers

Gavin
2009 Ford Territory ST,

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sat 23 Jan 2010, 16:40

Hey Gavin, still 6 days to Zawtkops - you can do it!

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Sat 23 Jan 2010, 23:53

Hi John

I wish I could, everyone capable of making roll cages are way too busy unfortunately.

I am also helping my boss Shannon. I managed to convince him to prepare his Alpine A110 1600S for historics. he got his MSA license, joined up with the Historic Register. We got the car to the Z today for the HTP and it passed with flying colours. I will be giving him some lessons on Wednesday at the track so he can be ready for Qualifying and the race.

I will have the Rover Ready soon anyway as well as My RS2000

Cheers

Gavin
2009 Ford Territory ST,

j1autotech

Post by j1autotech » Sun 24 Jan 2010, 05:59

Great work Gav,

are you thinking of doing anything to the paintwork or leaving as is ???

My GT is leaving to come back here to Melb. in the 1st week in Feb.

Cheers

J1

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Sun 24 Jan 2010, 08:32

Hey Justin

How are things your side.You must be chuffed that your GT is coming over. My buddy Roy is just about finished with a GT build which he will sell once complete.

My Rovers paintwork does need to be re done. It is such a pity it had to get so badly scratched. I am planning to do a complete respray later in the year. I have the original colour code so it will stay the original colour.
I also want to get a spare motor to play with. I am thinking of importing a brand new Rover 3.9/4,0ltr from RPI in the UK, I have already received a quote, cheaper than people would think. The batch of motors were built in 2008 and all the V8 alloy blocks were cast by Cosworth for RPI and then fully balanced and assembled to spec.They are long blocks so I would have to get some big valve heads. should easily get about 350hp from one of these. Will have to see.

Over christmas My friend Brad from Locost had his niece out from Australia, she brought us DVD's of the whole season of the V8 touring car series and the full DVD highlights of the Bathurst 1000km event in HD, man no racing on earth compares to this, makes Formula 1 look like kiddies go cart event.

Cheers

Gavin

Cheer
2009 Ford Territory ST,

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Sun 24 Jan 2010, 08:54

The Rover V8 has always been a favourite of mine. Class!
Love that Oil cooler. Need to get one for the Kommando. Where and RRR???.
Johann
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Sun 24 Jan 2010, 16:19

Johann65 wrote:The Rover V8 has always been a favourite of mine. Class!
Love that Oil cooler. Need to get one for the Kommando. Where and RRR???.
Johann
Hi Johann

I got that kit last month from the UK,its a full bolt on kit for the Rover SD1 V8. was R2500 for the whole kit

You can get all the parts and cooler that you need from Universal Coolers in Gauteng I think their website is www.hot4cold.co.za.

Cheers

Gavin
2009 Ford Territory ST,

Social Media