Racing Sports Cars

Killarney Racer

Racing Sports Cars

Post by Killarney Racer » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 09:38

How about a thread on the sports racing cars in SA?

Think of all the specials that were built and developed, Pheiffers APM, Bolton's Tigers, Mellet's Mirage, Holmes' Ecosse, the Mamba, Bramhill, Palbin, the famous Lolettes and of course all the Darts. The 60's and 70's was a great era of backyard engineering.

Lola's, McLaren, Porsche Carrera 6, Lotus 23 and 11 etc

Maybe you guys have some thoughts, stories and maybe some pictures to share?

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Re: Racing Sports Cars

Post by FairmontGT » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 10:35

This is an area I know nothing about so I would greatly appreciate a thread like this!
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

Wingwalker

Post by Wingwalker » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 10:45

A very good idea to have this topic...

The best sportscars, in my humble view, when it comes to spectator appeal, will always be the Porsche 917, Lola T70 and Chevron B8, with the Ford GT40 also not far behind.

Only wish the Piper circus will again bring out the Ford 3L... what a stunner...

And then the Matra, Spice, rotary Tiga's, the old Porsche Carrera 6, and the list will just go on and on.
"And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon."

Also known as Cape Town

Railway

Post by Railway » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 12:07

The Sports Car thing is another world. It is so important in racing as one imagines it being where the faint hearted won't venture into. Meaning the monster stuff like the 917, T70's and many other. This black MClaren that was here again the other day, geeezz that thing is a something else. I think at Zwartkops he only used 1st and 2nd. Imagine what's it got like 800 horses covered with plastic 40 years ago ?

There is a certain beauty to this class, the 24 hour races, speed, endurance, reliablility, stamina, patience. This feel I got the first time I saw that 956 or 962 is it of Franz Pretorious a few years ago at zwartkops. Just moving towards the track from the pre-race paddock the whole thing just made you stand back and think about those hero's that spent a day at a time in that small cockpit.

That red Ford 3L to me semed like a F1 of the time with clothes on.. It basically had a Formula 1 Cosworth motor in it not so ?

The Matra, when it was last here it reminded me of our old Manufacturer's Challenge in that this V12 sounded like something else amongst the T70's, Porsches and others. I think this is also what makes some classes nicer to watch and hear. The diversity in sounds and shapes.

After all the 1st race car I ever sat in as a child in a back of a service station in the dark was the APM at the Old MIll garage in Mowbray where Adrian Pheidfer was based. Don't think I was 10 years old then but the fascination of this streamline "Noddy" car as Noddy had a convertable in a childrens books back then. My favourite would be a T70 but with a 302 Chev motor in it like many had !

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 12:16

Seeing this is such a huge and varied topic, I wonder if the moderator would consider opening a section for this topic so it does not get lost amongst all the other topics.

I have to confess there is a certain addiction to this forum.

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 12:20

Suggestion for the new section name?

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 12:21

How about Racing Sports Cars?

Sorry I meant Administrator not Moderator!! :D

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 13:38

I will set it up right away.

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 13:41

Hope I dont confuse you guys by moving the thread to the new forum.

Wingwalker

Post by Wingwalker » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 14:01

We always watched the old 3 hours enduro's from under the trees at Malmesbury Corner...

Was something to see when Jody Scheckter went farming and ended up at the exit of Malmesbury in the patch of trees... till today I think he was just lucky not to be injured.

The Lola's, GRD's, Chevrons sponsored by Gunston, Lucky Strike or who ever and a few production cars, e.g. the R100 Mazda's, Cologne Capri's and other use to make up the balance of the grid, but it was really the drivers who made the racing. Names like Paddy Driver, Dave Charlton, John Love, Eddie Keizan, even Mike Hailwood, Dr. Helmut Marko plus the other drivers from Europe, etc. were household names.

As a youngster it was great fun cycling from Goodwood to watch the practice sessions...

That was untill the oil crisis brought a quick end to all the fun...

I think that to a youngster, just walking through the pitarea and being able to watch these cars and drivers, really made it worthwhile. The present historic racing with the Piper crowd has most certainly brought back the atmosphere and excitement of years gone by. This is an aspect that really should be looked into, even with the Nationals at Killarney, as I believe that the interaction with the drivers and the cars is a very important reason why this type of racing has survived through all these years.
"And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon."

Also known as Cape Town

Social Media