Hi-Fi

Re: THE SPRINGBOK SERIES

Post by Hi-Fi » Fri 02 May 2008, 02:43

Patience bud, I'll sort it out.

Here are a few more................

Fairlane 500

Post by Fairlane 500 » Sun 04 May 2008, 01:23

I see what you mean with the pictures. I did not realise that this sort of racing went on to this extent in South Africa. I have been reading up on it and looking at the internet. To see this is amazing. Thank you for sharing this.

I stand by what I posted a while back in that it would be good to revive this series in the true form similar to what it was.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 04 May 2008, 17:28

Great pics! That GTO was driven from Cape Town to JHB, raced and driven back again....can just imagine the sight and sound as it blasted accross the Karoo...
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Sun 04 May 2008, 18:01

Has anyone got the book called "Pipes" about David Piper. Covers a lot on his racing in this country. He was and still is quite a character.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 04 May 2008, 18:16

Killarney Racer wrote:Has anyone got the book called "Pipes" about David Piper. Covers a lot on his racing in this country. He was and still is quite a character.
Have heard its apparently a very good book...
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Sun 04 May 2008, 19:46

Here is a bit more..........

Remember that CanAm Ferrari of Hawkins and Love? It was sold to Robin Widows and raced here in 1969

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Sun 04 May 2008, 23:40

ZA Perana wrote:Great pics! That GTO was driven from Cape Town to JHB, raced and driven back again....can just imagine the sight and sound as it blasted accross the Karoo...
Can you imagine the locals, scattering in all directions, while the baas was getting under the weather on his mampoer, sitting on his porch (not Porsche)!!!

But correct. the car arrived late at the Cape Town docks and they had to drive the thing all the way to Kyalami. The minute they arrived they went out for practice and during the race they borrowed tyres off the same Ferrari of Lupini that was standing behind the pits so they could complete the race with a victory.

Amazing stories when drivers used to drive by the seat of their pants!
Attachments
1962 PIPER-JOHNSON FERRARI 250 GTO AT THE KYALAMI 9 HRS.jpg

Fairlane 500

Post by Fairlane 500 » Wed 07 May 2008, 00:30

Why was this series stopped and when was that?

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Wed 07 May 2008, 01:31

Pipes book: I have it recommended - has a lot of ZA stuff in it.

Springbok Series was killed mid series by the Fuel Crisis: Or more accurately the goverment deciding to ban petrol powered motor racing, even though it only used a tiny drop of the nation's fuel consumption (someone worked out that a 747 burned more litres of kerosine one way to London that the entire number of racing fuel litres burned in a season). Oval trackers, karts and moto-X changed over to methanol, but circuit racers wisely didn't go there.

Fairlane 500

Post by Fairlane 500 » Wed 07 May 2008, 23:49

It is unfortunate that the petrol story affected the country so badly. I had forgotten. I still say it would be nice if the series could be started again.

Are they still using methanol in go karts and oval racing?

Social Media