Left front higher than right front

Post any technical questions, FAQs or tutorials in this section
kavesh

Left front higher than right front

Post by kavesh » Wed 06 Feb 2013, 13:11

Hi all

I always seem to find weird issues with my Elky.

I swapped the tyres on my Elky last week. The tyres on there now are 1.84% bigger in circumference.

The problem that I have is that the tyres on the right front is touching the fenders when I turn the wheels but not on the left. So today I took a tape measure and measured the distance from the floor to the top of the fender (in the middle of the wheel). The left side is 4cms taller than the left. 8O

The tyre on the right is very close to the fender while on the left there is enough space to stick my hand in between tyre and wheel arch.

Prior to this I did not notice that the once side was higher than the other, even now it still looks fine. What could possibly cause this. I was thinking that the coil spring on the right may be the incorrect size perhaps.

Any ideas on this please.

Once again any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Kavesh

Doug Hirkham

Re: Left front higher than right front

Post by Doug Hirkham » Wed 06 Feb 2013, 13:25

Hi Kavesh,

Are you sure your suspension is not binding? I'm sure I saw in an earlier post that you were fitting poly bushes in the front end. Bounce the car and make sure it returns to the same place every time. If that is not the problem it could be that one coil spring has collapsed a bit. Take them both out, measure, and if necessary take to a spring shop to have them tested and reset.

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Wed 06 Feb 2013, 16:36

Good advice :D The Malibu had a similar problem and a good suspension service (and Dirt road [sink plaat]) on the HQ conversion solved the problem. Even the steering became less heavy!! :D :D
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

kavesh

Post by kavesh » Wed 06 Feb 2013, 17:44

Thanks for the advice.

Doug I wanted to change the bushes but did not touch the suspension as yet.

Will have to go under and have a look at the springs.

Punch

Post by Punch » Wed 06 Feb 2013, 18:50

Hi Kavesh,
I had a pair of new Dunlop 205/70 VR 15's which I fitted onto the Chevy Coupe, the car sagged on one side, I assumed that a spring on the Jag front suspension had somewhat collapsed so I jacked the car up to romove the springs & check the heights.
I removed the wheels and wanted to move them out of the way, :roll: being lazy I decided to put the two wheels together and roll them out of the way at the same time. Hey Presto!! One was smaller than the other. 8O Both had the exact lettering and sizes throught out, I could not believe it and got hold of the local Rep. When he saw it he could not wait to get his hands on the smaller one, he offered me a replacment India to match the other one. I went into Bull S..t. mode and told him this was a show car and didn't want odd tyres. :oops: I ended up with 4 new India's for the 2 Dunlops. :D Just a thought.

kavesh

Post by kavesh » Thu 07 Feb 2013, 06:59

Thanks Punch. Will have a look at the tyres as well.

kavesh

Post by kavesh » Mon 11 Feb 2013, 19:19

Hi all

This afternoon I removed the coil springs. First I was only going to remove the left side to use as a sample to have new ones made up. When I undid the ball joint nut and lowered the control arm the ball joint fell out. I was never seated

Went on to remove the right hand side as well fortunately the ball joint did not fall out like the other side did. Anyways the coil springs are exactly the same size. I am hoping that it would be proved the the right side did lose some of its tension.

PMB wants over R2k for a set of springs fitted. Getting it from Pinetown for R600 and my sweat to fit.

Can someone please tell me how to remove the lower control arm completely as I am thinking of making up new bushes while I am at it. I don't want to damage the old bushes as I am sure the same one will have to be refurbished.

Thanks
Kavesh

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Mon 11 Feb 2013, 21:24

kavesh

Post by kavesh » Fri 15 Feb 2013, 17:43

Got a new set of springs made up in Pinetown. Before fitting them on I wanted to change the lower control arm bushes. Man what a ball ache it is to get these out.

So far only managed to get one off from the front. Struggled for a few hours with the one on the back on the same control arm.

I have decided to remove the suspension from the vehicle to make it a little easier.

I wish there was an easier way to do it. Now I think I will refurbish all the bushes while the suspension is out.

There is a chap that can refurbish them for R80 per bush. Apparently he is doing this for about 20 years and I have been told that his work is good.

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Fri 15 Feb 2013, 20:07

There is an easy way of removing bushes if you know how!! The bushes must get the shock treatment!! Take some lessons from the expert who is going to do them!!! I took lessons and it was worth it!! :D :D

Social Media