My Project

MAD SAPPHIRE

Re: My Project

Post by MAD SAPPHIRE » Mon 22 Apr 2013, 13:18

colin davids wrote:
MAD SAPPHIRE wrote:Hi Colin, black is beautiful but only for the first 5 mins after it's washed and polished. After that the dust etc. just rushes to cling to it. :x
Turbo charging is the reason why the car is stripped again. You have a good nose my friend. :lol:
My brake conversion (calipers and discs) front and rear is from a Focus ST.
The car came standard with ABS but i had issues with it. I turfed everything and fitted a normal brake booster and master cylinder courtesy Focus ST as well.

Pic of booster and master cylinder
Thanks for the info on the brake upgrade.Will definitely look into it.I assume you had to make up a caliper bracket and a spigot to fit the disc onto the sierra hub after drilling it to the 108 pcd.I've seen those territory st's do 14 second quarter mile runs even though they weigh about two tons so i reckon you are going to see a lot of surprised challengers on the road.It will be interesting to see your car up against a good v8 sierra/sapphire.

Cheers
Colin
Hi Colin,

The discs just needs to be drilled to 108 pcd. They fit straight on so no spigot needed. The bolt patern for the front calipers are exactly the same but the holes just needs to be drilled bigger for the ST bolts. You will need a 12mm spacer when you bolt the caliper on. This will center the disc inside the caliper.
Rear discs fit as well after you drilled the pcd but needs a brachet made up. I also fitted longer studs as the discs are thicker. Not sure if needed for the XR8 as i'm note sure how long those studs are.

Hope this helps bud.
:)
Ford Sapphire 4.0L TURBO

MAD SAPPHIRE

Post by MAD SAPPHIRE » Mon 22 Apr 2013, 13:27

MAD SAPPHIRE wrote:
colin davids wrote:
MAD SAPPHIRE wrote:Hi Colin, black is beautiful but only for the first 5 mins after it's washed and polished. After that the dust etc. just rushes to cling to it. :x
Turbo charging is the reason why the car is stripped again. You have a good nose my friend. :lol:
The car came standard with ABS but i had issues with it. I turfed everything and fitted a normal brake booster and master cylinder courtesy Focus ST as well.

Thanks for the info on the brake upgrade.Will definitely look into it.I assume you had to make up a caliper bracket and a spigot to fit the disc onto the sierra hub after drilling it to the 108 pcd.I've seen those territory st's do 14 second quarter mile runs even though they weigh about two tons so i reckon you are going to see a lot of surprised challengers on the road.It will be interesting to see your car up against a good v8 sierra/sapphire.

Cheers
Colin
Hi Colin,

The discs just needs to be drilled to 108 pcd. They fit straight on so no spigot needed. The bolt patern for the front calipers are exactly the same but the holes just needs to be drilled bigger for the ST bolts. You will need a 12mm spacer when you bolt the caliper on. This will center the disc inside the caliper.
Rear discs fit as well after you drilled the pcd but needs a brachet made up. I also fitted longer studs as the discs are thicker. Not sure if needed for the XR8 as i'm note sure how long those studs are.

Hope this helps bud.
Oh and i would love to compare my car to a good V8 sierra/sapphire. Just not any of Alvin's cars or Zain with the twin turbo XR8 :lol:
Maybe yours bud? :mrgreen:
Ford Sapphire 4.0L TURBO

73Ranchero

Post by 73Ranchero » Mon 22 Apr 2013, 14:33

Lovely thread, I'm extremely nervous for your part, after all that trouble with the sprayjob, which was really done beautifully!. I always try to do the mechanical work before the final paint job, because mechanic's as a rule don't care much for the delicate paint when doing fitments!

I also like the neat gauges you fitted to the dash! I first stretched my eyes 8O on the first picture, where the dash was cut, but then relaxed when I saw the neat gauge bracket fitted. I didn't even know such things excisted. :lol:

Thanks for sharing. 8)
There's no substitute for cubic inches
Deon

MAD SAPPHIRE

Post by MAD SAPPHIRE » Mon 22 Apr 2013, 16:36

73Ranchero wrote:Lovely thread, I'm extremely nervous for your part, after all that trouble with the sprayjob, which was really done beautifully!. I always try to do the mechanical work before the final paint job, because mechanic's as a rule don't care much for the delicate paint when doing fitments!

I also like the neat gauges you fitted to the dash! I first stretched my eyes 8O on the first picture, where the dash was cut, but then relaxed when I saw the neat gauge bracket fitted. I didn't even know such things excisted. :lol:

Thanks for sharing. 8)
Thank you Ranchero.
I know what you mean about mechanics but all of them can't be painted with the same brush, lol.
Luckily i do things myself with the help of two guys who understands the delicassy of my project. Ek is 'n engineer. Ek sit die engine neer! :lol:
Cutting the hole for the cluster was a bit nerve racking as i was not 100% sure it would fit as the vent ducts sit just below them and thought i would have clearance issues. Also the fact that my dash board was mint with no cracks or holes.

"Each one teach one", so i'm glad i made you aware that these existed!
Ford Sapphire 4.0L TURBO

colin davids

Post by colin davids » Mon 22 Apr 2013, 17:39

MAD SAPPHIRE wrote:
MAD SAPPHIRE wrote:
colin davids wrote:

Cheers
Colin
Hi Colin,

Hope this helps bud.
Oh and i would love to compare my car to a good V8 sierra/sapphire. Just not any of Alvin's cars or Zain with the twin turbo XR8 :lol:
Maybe yours bud? :mrgreen:
Your info on the brake upgrade will definitely save me a lot of trial and error.This is the reason we have these forums.Thanks.I think i'll just do the front for now as this will be the quickest.My car will be at killarney on 18 may running in fine cars but i will probably do a track day before that to check for any issues so feel free to come and show us what your boosted beast can do.

Cheers
Colin
FORD CAPRI PERANA NO. 66
FORD CAPRI V8 DRAG CAR
FORD SIERRA XR8
FORD CORTINA 3.0 S W/CHEVY V8
BMW E30 W/ FORD 347 STROKER
1970 MUSTANG MACH 1 MANUAL W/4V CLEVELAND
SUZUKI GSXR 1000
FORD SAPPHIRE 2 LITRE 16 VALVE TURBO

MAD SAPPHIRE

Post by MAD SAPPHIRE » Mon 22 Apr 2013, 21:18

Hi Colin, I kinda went out on a limb, closed my eyes and bought the ST goodies so definitely had to make it fit but boy was I surprised when it was such a breeze to fit.

Don't you think doing just the front for now might alter you brake bias which I think would be critical especially on the track?

In terms of sharing the info is a pleasure and I'm sure it will help a lot of guys on this forum.
Feel free to ask any further info if needed.

My car won't be done by then as I'm quite busy at work now so no time for it but will definitely try and come have a look at the racing.

Cheers
Ford Sapphire 4.0L TURBO

peach786

Post by peach786 » Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:11

Hi there !,

it is always refreshing to see somebody getting stuck in and doing the work themselves !

gordini

Post by gordini » Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:24

Thanks for posting Mad S...i will contact you somewhere in the new future. I need to do the same type of build fora customer.. :roll: :roll:
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

MAD SAPPHIRE

Post by MAD SAPPHIRE » Tue 23 Apr 2013, 15:48

peach786 wrote:Hi there !,

it is always refreshing to see somebody getting stuck in and doing the work themselves !
Hi Peach,
I like getting my hands dirty. :lol:
Ford Sapphire 4.0L TURBO

MAD SAPPHIRE

Post by MAD SAPPHIRE » Tue 23 Apr 2013, 15:49

gordini wrote:Thanks for posting Mad S...i will contact you somewhere in the new future. I need to do the same type of build fora customer.. :roll: :roll:
Hi Gordini, it's a pleasure!
Ford Sapphire 4.0L TURBO

Social Media